Monday, January 18, 2010

The One With the Aftermath of the 67th Annual Golden Globe Awards.

What a night! In this post, I will be commenting on my favourite stars on the red carpet + of course; sharing my thoughts on the winners for motion pictures.

Favourites on the Red Carpet:

Eli Roth, Mélanie Laurent & Quentin Tarantino:

Eli Roth looked sharp and absolutely gorgeous, as usual :) Slicked hair is always a plus, but I'm a little sad that he shaved his beard. Mélanie Laurent looked stunning in her champagne-coloured dress with flowers. But, of course, she would look stunning in anything. Quentin Tarantino could wear anything, and he'd still look totally cool. Here, he is wearing a black samurai-inspired suit. Cool, huh? :)

Marion Cotillard:

Marion Cotillard also looked stunning! The way she wore her hair is pretty much my favourite hairstyle, I must say, and it looks amazing on her. I usually hate green dresses, but this one is the exception. Cotillard rocked that dress(!) and she knew it :)

Kate Hudson:

Kate Hudson was charming as always on the Red Carpet. We can't help but love her. This dress probably would have looked strange on anybody else there that night, but it looked great on Kate. And her shoes are crazy(!), in a very good way :)

Fergie:

Purple seemed to be the colour of the night. But the exact colour of this dress is lavender, one of my favourite kinds of purple. The dress looked sweet, soft and very comfortable. It extenuated her waist, which is always flattering, and her hair is simple, but stylish. It's a shame we can't see her shoes though, they would have been interesting to see.


Penélope Cruz:

Penélope's holding her own umbrella! She was the only person on the whole red carpet holding her own umbrella, kudos to Penélope :) Although, when thinking of the situation, I can't help but wonder where Javier Bardem was. The umbrella actually gives her grace. Regardless of what anybody says, I think Penélope looked beautiful. The snug dress and lace works for her, and her hair looked fantastic. I can't wait to see what she wears to the Oscars! :)

The Winners [for motion pictures]:

1. Best Foreign Language Film

Winner: Das weisse Band - Eine deutsche Kindergeschichte (The White Ribbon)
Would've been better: Los abrazos rotos (Broken Embraces)

I did not see any of the films that were nominated, but I was rooting for Los abrazos rotos (Broken Embraces) to win. I would have seen Broken Embraces if it was showing at the cinema closest to my house, which, unfortunately, it wasn't. The White Ribbon certainly sounds interesting, but Broken Embraces looks amazing, and Penélope's in it, it must be great. I was happy when Broken Embraces won Best Foreign Film for the Critics Choice Awards, so maybe it was time for the White Ribbon to be recognised, because I'm sure it was a good film.

2. Best Animated Film
Winner: Up
Would've been better: Fantastic Mr. Fox

I'm sure that Up was worthy of winning this award. I've only heard good things about it. But, I did really like the look of Fantastic Mr. Fox. Although, I am not that big on animated films, so I was alright with whatever film won this award.

3. Best Original Score - Motion Picture
Winner: Up: Michael Giacchino
Wanted to win: NOT AVATAR!

I was so glad that Avatar didn't win this! Up must have been one good film. I do have the soundtrack to Where the Wild Things Are, although I've haven't seen it, but I have not listened to it yet. But I usually like Carter Burwell's work and it would have been good seeing him & Karen Orzolek win.

4. Best Original Song - Motion Picture
Winner: Crazy Heart: T-Bone Burnett, Ryan Bingham ("The Weary Kind")
Should have won: Nine: Maury Yeston ("Cinema Italiano")

I have not seen Crazy Heart [it hasn't come out here] nor have I heard the song, "The Weary Kind". I have heard "Cinema Italiano" though, and I think it is loud, catchy & fabulous! Kate Hudson did a fantastic job considering that singing is not quite in her job description. I do believe that "Be Italian" should have been nominated as well though, I love that song!

5. Best Screenplay - Motion Picture
Winner: Up in the Air: Jason Reitman, Sheldon Turner
Should have won: Inglourious Basterds: Quentin Tarantino

I have seen Up in the Air and I thought it was brilliant, but Inglourious Basterds is everything a film should be, and more! It is beyond brilliant. They should really have two awards for Best Screenplay; Adapted and Original. In that case, Jason Reitman & Sheldon Turner and Quentin Tarantino could have both won their well-deserved awards. Thankfully, Best Screenplay is split into two awards at the Oscars, so they'll win there and I'll be happy.

6. Best Director - Motion Picture
Winner: James Cameron for Avatar
Should have won: Quentin Tarantino for Inglourious Basterds

Don't even get me started on this award! I was horrified when James Cameron won! Avatar was so weak! Quentin Tarantino is long overdue to win best director at the Golden Globes and the Oscars. He deserved it so much more than Cameron did. Inglorious Basterds was perfect. But, I have more to say when I speak about Best Picture - Drama, so I'll save it. So, we haven't gotten the Hurt Locker or Invictus here yet, so I can't comment on them. But, I do know that Invictus will be great, Clint's always great! Jason Reitman did a great job for Up in the Air. Tarantino blew me away. Cameron bored me. James Cameron winning this award just pissed me off. Everybody at the Inglourious Basterds table knew Tarantino should have won it.

7. Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Winner: Mo'Nique for Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire
Should have won: Penélope Cruz for Nine

Okay, Precious hasn't come out here yet either, so, again, I cannot comment on the winner. I've heard that Mo'Nique was fantastic, so, at this point, I cannot argue with that. A Single Man or Nine hasn't come out here yet either, but I'm sure Penélope Cruz knocked it out of the park. I've seen the trailer for Nine though; she dances, she sings and she acts her ass off! Vera Farmiga & Anna Kendrick's performances were great in Up in the Air, there's no doubt about that. But I would have loved to see Penélope Cruz win this award.

8. Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Winner: Christoph Waltz for Inglourious Basterds
Should have won: Christoph Waltz for Inglourious Basterds

Ah, Christoph Waltz! He was truly my saviour of the day! Out of everything/everyone who I wanted to win anything, he was the only one who actually won it! I could not be any happier that he won. His speech was so amazing, it nearly made me cry. I knew his win was a shoe-in, and I'm so glad. I'm sure that Matt Damon was great in Invictus as well.

9. Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Winner: Meryl Streep for Julie & Julia
Should have won: Marion Cotillard for Nine

I'm sort of happy that Meryl Streep won, but not what she won for. I haven't seen Julie & Julia but it looks so over-the-top, while It's Complicated is smart, funny and very entertaining. If you ask me, she should've won for It's Complicated, if she had to win at all. I would have loved to see Marion Cotillard win this award. She is always great and I think she would have done a wonderful job in Nine.

10. Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Winner: Robert Downey Jr. for Sherlock Holmes
Should have won: Daniel Day-Lewis for Nine

Although I saw none of the films that the nominees of this award were in, I was happy to see Robert Downey Jr. win this award. I really like him and I'm sure he deserved it. I would have been happier if Daniel Day-Lewis won though. He is wonderful, and I'm sure that shows in Nine.

11. Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama

Winner: Sandra Bullock for The Blind Side
Should have won/Would've been better: -

Frankly, I had no opinion on this award. I didn't see any of the films that the nominees were in, nor did I have anybody I was really rooting for. I guess I would favour Sandra Bullock, so, I'm glad she won :)

12. Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama
Winner: Jeff Bridges for Crazy Heart
Should have won: George Clooney for Up in the Air

I have not seen Crazy Heart because it's not coming out here, but I heard that Jeff Bridges is fantastic in it. But I thought George Clooney was beyond amazing in Up in the Air! He was so real, so believable! Actually, I really thought Clooney would win it, but maybe that's because I haven't seen Crazy Heart. I still need to see Invictus, and I will when it comes out. I'm sure Morgan Freeman is amazing and his nomination was well-deserved.

13. Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Winner: The Hangover
Should have won: Nine

Out of the nominees for this category, I only saw It's Complicated. I've heard that The Hangover was the best comedy film of 2009 and from what I've seen [not much], it's pretty hilarious. I knew it was going to win. I would have loved to see Nine win it, seeing the whole cast out there would have been great. I've also heard good things about (500) Days of Summer. I would have been pissed off if Julie & Julia won, so I'm just glad that didn't win.

14. Best Motion Picture - Drama
Winner: Avatar
Should have won: Inglourious Basterds

I was, again, horrified that Avatar won this award! As I said; Avatar is weak! It had a boring screenplay, it was overlong(!) and the acting wasn't top-notch either. Yes, the effects are great, blah, blah, blah, but in my book, that just doesn't cut it! I found nothing particularly amazing or mind-blowing about it at all.
On the other hand, Inglourious Basterds is an absolute masterpiece! I could not say one bad thing about it if I tried. I would even go as far as to call it flawless. I found Inglourious Basterds way more superior to Avatar, in every way possible, especially the screenplay and the acting. The screenplay of Inglourious Basterds is fantastic. It is classic Tarantino, and frankly, that is unbeatable. Mélanie Laurent and Christoph Waltz' performances were immaculate and very worthy of Oscars. And who can resist a good Nazi-killing film?!
Avatar only deserves awards for special effects, nothing else. I'd rather watch paint dry than see Avatar again!
Yes, I love Up in the Air. I call it the second best film of 2009 :)
Precious & the Hurt Locker have not come out here yet, so I cannot comment.

Cecil B. DeMille Award - Martin Scorsese

It was so great seeing him receive this award. This was the highlight of the night, apart from Christoph Waltz winning his award. Seeing Robert De Niro & Leonardo DiCaprio presenting the award was so cool, especially De Niro saying, "We’re like an old married couple. We built a life together, we have great memories — we just don’t sleep together anymore" and DiCaprio calling Scorsese "a master filmmaker and a generous, patient teacher". It almost brought me to tears. Scorsese's speech truly expressed his love of cinema. It was beautiful. We love you, Marty! :)

Ricky Gervais - The Host

One quote: "I like a drink as much as the next man. Unless the next man is Mel Gibson." ! Legend.

Let's end on a fantabulous note! Eli Roth at the 67th Annual Golden Globe Awards:

He's a GQMF if ever I saw one! Sexiest man alive if you ask me :)

Taysha. x

No comments:

Post a Comment