Thursday, January 14, 2010

The One Where It's Complicated.

I've seen It's Complicated (2009) in the cinemas twice. The first time was with my friend. We saw it because we thought it would be hilarious - we were right. The second time was with my mother. She wanted to see it badly & I was up for it. We loved it. I thoroughly enjoyed the film both times.

Written & Directed by: Nancy Meyers

Jane Adler (Meryl Streep) is caught in a messy, complicated love triangle with her charming, cheeky ex-husband, Jake (Alec Baldwin) who she recently hooked up with at their son's graduation, and her 'nerdy', sweet architect, Adam (Steve Martin).
Personally, I cannot pick between the two. Baldwin is ridiculously charming as always, and Martin is so sweet, we just can't resist it. If somebody put a gun to my head, I still probably wouldn't even be able to pick.

Streep is still absolutely gorgeous at 60 and great as Jane. Her performance is outstanding, as usual for Ms. Streep. She nailed everything, especially the facial expressions. I love seeing Streep in comedies because she's very good in them, I must say. Although many people have said that Jane's situation is very unbelievable, I don't think it's that far-fetched, but whatever.
Baldwin is, as I've said, completely charming in his role as Jake. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing his character, especially when he sneaks around. Those scenes especially, are hilarious.
I found Martin totally adorable as Adam, especially in the scene where he is trying on all of the different sweaters! Maybe if I had two guns to my head, I'd say that I may like Adam a little better, but I love Jake as well :)

Jane and Jake's children are great as well. They're all very likable, sweet characters. They are just how Jane's children should be; perfect.
Their son-in-law, Harley (John Krasinski) is the best! Apart from the main three characters, Harley is my favourite. He is the first one to find out about Jane & Jake's affair and has to keep it a secret from everybody else. Every one of his lines is hilarious, I laughed out loud every time he spoke. I can definitely say that I am a John Krasinski fan now :)

There are so many great scenes in this film, but the best one is where Jane & Adam turn up stoned to Harley & Lauren's party. They then engage in an awkward (obviously, not awkward to them) conversation with Jake and his younger wife, Agness [pictured below] about how Jane & Agness have been married to the same man. I laughed out loud during the entire party scene. Meyers deserves huge kudos for her screenplay.

The ending [I won't spoil it] is very satisfying. I think it ended very well. The decisions Jane made at the end were just right.
The cast of this film couldn't be better. Everybody suited their roles so well and there were no big dull duds whatsoever. Meryl Streep definitely deserves to be nominated for a Golden Globe for Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy. She did a fine job.
It's Complicated is nominated for Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy which is also well deserved. Nancy Meyers is nominated for a Best Screenplay - Motion Picture Golden Globe which is also well deserved, but Quentin Tarantino should definitely get it for Inglourious Basterds :)

This film is funny, smart, charming & very entertaining. I will be waiting a while before I see it again though, twice in four days is just too much.
I give it 3.5 out of 4 stars.

Watch the trailer here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt-l1liNjk0

Rating: R
Runtime: 120 mins

Taysha. x

No comments:

Post a Comment