Thursday, December 17, 2009

The One With the Pulp Fiction rave.

Last night was my second viewing of Pulp Fiction (1994). This film is one of the most brilliant films I have ever seen! A film by Quentin Tarantino, of course.
I have been waiting since I was about 4 years old to see this film. This is because I thought my mother was featured on the poster (mainly because of her hair) therefore, of course, I wanted to see it. A few years later I discovered that it wasn't my mother and that it was none other than Uma Thurman. But I was never allowed to see it because it was rated R. Twelve years later, I was able to watch this film and it was definitely worth that long wait!
For starters, just check out the fantastic poster:

Written & Directed by: Quentin Tarantino

This film features an all-star cast including; (well, check the poster above) :)
The film follows the lives of two mob hit men (John Travolta & Samuel L. Jackson), a gangster's wife (Uma Thurman), a boxer (Bruce Willis) and two diner bandits (Tim Roth & Amanda Plummer). The fascinating thing about this film is that all these situations are tied into one and are all connected.

Travolta and Jackson are absolutely electric as the two mob hit men. They are equally freaking cool and hilarious. Both the "Quarter Pounder/Royale with Cheese" discussion and the foot massage debate are golden! Tarantino did an outstanding job with the script, as usual :) I thoroughly enjoyed all of their scenes :)

Now, at the Oscars there was a lot of debate whether Jackson should have won the Oscar for best supporting actor instead of Martin Landau who won it for his performance in Ed Wood (1994). I really can't take sides regarding this matter because I absolutely loved Landau's performance as Bela Lugosi and Ed Wood is my favourite film of all time but, I think Jackson was absolutely electric, so I'm choosing to be Switzerland in this debate.

Uma Thurman is amazing and so gorgeous as Mia Wallace. I really wish she was in the film more than she was, I really missed her when she wasn't onscreen. I totally agree with nearly everything she said, especially how there is nothing wrong with comfortable silences and I would have really liked to see that pilot of Fox Force Five. It sounded interesting :)

And, of course, there is the famous dance scene with Vincent (Travolta) and Mia at the diner. That scene is like magic! The moves are fantastic. I sometimes do them when I'm dancing :)

Bruce Willis as Butch was good to see as well. There is a flashback scene where Butch is a small child [obviously not played by Willis here] which involves one of the best monologues of Christopher Walken's career. Butch's scenes also has two of the famous quotes present in them which are:
  • Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead. [which is where the film would naturally end]
  • Bring out the Gimp. [but I wont speak of that part]

The two bandits Pumpkin and Honey Bunny are also brilliant. Yolanda AKA Honey Bunny says, in my opinion, one of the greatest lines in film history:
"Any of you fucking pricks move, and I'll execute every motherfucking last one of ya!"
This line cracked me up for ages after I first heard it. They are the best robbers ever! :)

Jimmie is another character that I LOVE. He is played by Tarantino himself. He is a normal guy, living in a regular home in the valley when Vincent and Jules (Jackson) come to his home with a big problem. Jimmie is definitely my favourite secondary character. I love how everybody comes to his house with this big problem and he's totally cool with it, well, as long as everybody's out of the house before his wife; Bonnie, comes home. He is like the sweetest guy ever :) Isn't he adorable?


Overall, I adore this film. Tarantino did an absolutely amazing job with the directing, writing and the music! This film has a kick-ass(!) soundtrack. He gets huge kudos from me. This film has got to be in the top 5 best films EVER made. If anybody hasn't seen it, I strongly suggest you do! ...right now! :)
I give it 4 out of 4 stars!

Watch the trailer here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZBfmBvvotE

Rating: R
Runtime: 154 mins. USA:168 min (special edition)

Taysha. x

No comments:

Post a Comment