Friday, April 2, 2010

The One Where It's No Country for Old Men.

I watched No Country for Old Men (2007) on January the 13th this year, but I've waited to see it since it won four Academy Awards in 2008. For that reason, as well as the fact that I love Javier Bardem, Josh Brolin and Tommy Lee Jones, I knew I had to see this! And I'm so glad I did. Everything about this film was amazing!

Directed by: Joel & Ethan Coen
Screenplay by: Joel & Ethan Coen
Based on the novel by: Cormac McCarthy

The film centers around Llewelyn Moss (Josh Brolin) who accidentally stumbles across some dead bodies, a stash of heroin and more than $2 million in cash near the Rio Grande. The problem is that the person hired to retrieve that money which Llewelyn has decided to keep, is a psychopathic killer (Javier Bardem), and he wants it back; and wants to make sure he obtains that money again by being hot on Llewelyn's trail. Meanwhile, the local police officers (one who is Tommy Lee Jones) are doubting that they can control the amount and level of crime that is occurring.

The acting is top-notch in this film, as well as the direction; just as we would all expect it to be.
Tommy Lee Jones plays Ed Tom Bell; a local police officer. I especially liked his narration at the beginning of the film, because it gave the audience great context. It set the tone of the film, as well as the overall vibe; which I always appreciate. I always love narration because I feel personally involved in the film, and I really get into it that way. I also think that Jones plays a fine sheriff :)

Josh Brolin plays the aforementioned Llewelyn Moss; who was a regular guy who lived a regular life, until he stumbled upon the fortune. This is why we feel so sorry for him for getting caught up in all the mess with the killer! He didn't deserve that; well, except for the fact that he indeed decided to keep the money; which illegal, but he was still innocent enough for the audience to feel sympathy towards him.
I know Brolin wasn't the Coens' first choice, but Brolin gives a great performance that was undeniably believable, as usual. I have to give many kudos to Brolin for acting in two of the greatest films of 2007; Planet Terror and, of course; this film.

Javier Bardem gives one of the greatest performances ever as Anton Chigurh. Anton is a truly fascinating character and one of the best and most memorable villains of all time in my opinion. This is because he is unusual; both mentally and physically [haircut], ruthless and just plain crazy!
Bardem never ceases to amaze me. His performance is just flawless, and I'm so glad he won the Academy Award for best supporting actor. He deserved it very much. I loved him, was terrified by him and ultimately; blown away. Kudos, Bardem; you're amazing! I just love him!

The intensity of this film is astounding, especially in the gas station scene; my favourite scene of the film. It involves Anton having a rather strange conversation with the gas station proprietor. Anton flips a coin and covers the result with his hand, and tells the proprietor to call it. Whether he calls heads or tails, will depend on his life. If the coin indeed reveals the side he called; he lives; if it doesn't; he dies. I won't tell you the outcome of this scene because that would be a spoiler. But I will say that this scene is remarkable, and that it was terrifying.

The silence in the film is an aspect that I appreciated also. I thought it was effective and proved that less is more. If it had some stupid songs in the background, I don't think it would have been as effective.
Many people don't particularly like the ending, but I really did. Personally, I thought it was very fitting. Again, I won't reveal spoilers.

Overall, I loved this film and would recommend it to anybody; except children. The performances were amazing, the direction was also great; of course. This is a Coen brothers masterpiece! It was suspenseful, climatic and just fantastic! I love it.
This is a thriller that you will never forget.
I give it 4 out of 4 stars.

Watch the trailer here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZpQqrImK80

Rating: R
Runtime: 122 mins

Taysha. x

No comments:

Post a Comment