Friday, April 2, 2010

The One With Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's.

I was ecstatic when this was on television in January, because I've always wanted to see it. I've always heard great things about it, and I've always had a soft spot for Audrey Hepburn because of her sweetness, personality & charity work, but I had never seen any of her films. Now, I have, and I must say; I am officially a big Audrey Hepburn fan.

Directed by: Blake Edwards
Screenplay by: George Axelrod
Based on the novel by: Truman Capote

Struggling writer Paul Varjak (George Peppard), moves into a New York apartment building, and becomes interested in Holly Golighty (Audrey Hepburn), his new, quirky socialite neighbor. Her lifestyle is confusing to Paul, and this allows him to become fascinated by her.

Let me start off by saying that I love Holly Golightly! She may not be that sure of everything, and have some serious emotional issues, but she is still the definition of fabulous! Holly is indeed an intriguing character and I hung on to her every move throughout the entire film. She fascinated me.
And Audrey Hepburn...my gosh! She is so great as Holly! Although it isn't your typical Audrey role, and Hepburn was somewhat hesitant taking on the role, she nailed it anyway, and ironically; it became her most memorable. I cannot see nobody else in this role. Hepburn brought so much grace to the role, which I appreciated very much. She is amazing.

Ah, Fred...I mean Paul Varjak. He's so dreamy. He is such a sweet character that has clearly been in love with Holly since they met. Don't get me wrong, he's not sissy sweet. He puts Holly in her place when he needed to, but I will not spoil that any further, because it's great!
I had never heard of George Peppard until I saw this film. And since I've seen this, I've become quite fond of him, I'd be willing to see any of his other films. I think he is great.

Now, there has been much controversy about Mickey Rooney's character; Mr. Yunioshi. Yes, he plays an Asian man. Many people say that his character is offensive. I, personally, didn't have a problem with it, but I see why it may be offensive to some. But it really shouldn't ruin the film for anybody, because, really, Rooney only has a bit part.

The story was extremely intriguing, and I loved that. My dad; not so much. He hated it. There is much that happens in this film, and I really got into it. After seeing this, I would very much love to read Truman Capote's classic novel.
I will not spoil the ending; but it is the cutest one ever! It made me feel so happy afterward and I'm truly a sucker for that. I've read that the ending in the film is different to the one in the novel, but I loved it nonetheless, and I think that this ending did indeed work.
My favourite part of the film is when Holly and Paul share a romantic day together. This involves them visiting the shop (seen below), visiting the library and of course; spending some time at Tiffany's!

Also, I must mention "cat", who is Holly's cat. Pretty self explanatory. May I say, Cat; who is played by Orangey, is so beautiful. So beautiful in fact, that I actually named my cat after it. Obviously I'm not the only one who loved Orangey, because it won the Patsy award for its role as Cat. Mind you, the Patsy awards are the equivalent to the Academy Awards :)

This film is fabulous and intriguing. I could watch it again very soon!
I give it 3.5 out of 4 stars.

Watch the trailer here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urQVzgEO_w8

Rating: PG/PG-13 [sometimes not specified]
Runtime: 115 mins

Taysha. x

No comments:

Post a Comment